Too often travel, instead of broadening the mind, merely lengthens the conversation.– Elizabeth Drew
Chavakkad Beach trip is preferred by those tourists who choose to spend some private and memorable moments. It is counted amongst Kerala's most popular beaches.
Chavakkad Beach is ocated on the coast of Arabian Sea, a beautiful beach situated 5 kms away from Guruvayur, and and 25 km west of Thrissur in Kerala. It is a scenic beach lying on the coast of Arabian Sea, and ideal for spending some time leisurely.
Chavakkad, it is believed, got its name from the cheval trees which are found in abundance in the area. It is also called Mini Gulf as most of the families in Chavakkad are supported by a family member working in the Middle East.
Chavakkad is deep-rooted in history being the place that first hosted Saint Thomas and the residence of Haider Alis rebel lieutenant Haidross Kuttee.
Chavakkad Beach is filled with natural beauty. Chavakkad Beach, one of the best beaches along the West coast with coconut bordered sea-shore is a pleasing view of rare natural beauty entice and attract thousands of tourists. Acknowledged as one of the best beaches along the west coast. Unaltered by modernisation and laced on the borders by an array of coconut palms.
Chavakkad Beach is famous for the spectacle called 'Azhimokam' in Malayalam which means a place where a river confluences with the sea. This meeting of the sea with the river is known as Azhimokam in Kerela. The beaches at Chavakkad and Nattika are simply wonderful. The beaches are examples of pristine nature and are not crowded. One can simply spend hours after hours talking to the near and dear ones in the calm of Nature, oblivious of everything else.
There are also several interesting tourist spots in the area. While Hindu pilgrim throng the Guruvayoor Temple, Christian flock to St Thomas Church at Palayur, built by St Thomas himself in AD 52. It is the oldest Christian church in India. The main entrance of the Church is splattered with 14 granite life-size statues of various scenes from the life of St. Thomas. The awe-inspiring interiors from the ceiling to the walls are covered with paintings of Christ and angels in white and gold.
The Mausoleum of Haidross Kuttee is also close to the Beach at a place called Manathala Desam. The place is also called Kuttingal after the general.
HOW TO REACH?
The distance of Chavakkad Beach from Thrissur is not very long. In fact it is only five Kms from Guruvayur, a booming township in the district of Thrissur. The journey will hardly take half an hour to reach Chavakkad Beach fromThrissur.
- National Highway 17, passes through the Chavakkad town. Another road is State Highway 50 that starts in Chavakkad and ends in Wadakkancherry.
- Chavakkad has a Municipal bus stand with frequent buses to and from the district headquarter Thrissur, Guruvayur, Kodungallur, Ernakulam and to other nearby towns.
- All private and KSRTC buses that ply southward from Guruvayur and other northern towns stop at Chavakkad.
- The nearest railway station to Chavakkad is Guruvayur Railway Station about four kilometers away. Guruvayur Railway Station lies in the Thrissur-Guruvayur Section.
- Thrissur Railway Station is the major rail head near to Chavakkad from where you can get all South Indian and North Indian trains.
- The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery which is about 80 KM away. All international, domestic and chartered flights are available here.
- Calicut International Airport at Karipur is about 104 KM away.
MY TRAVEL ITINERARY:
- After our darshan at Guruvayoor temple, we had some time with us and decided to take an autorikshaw to Chavakkad Beach.
- It was simply wonderful. It takes an half-an-hour time to reach Chavakkad beach.
- If you want to go by bus, first you reach Chavakkad municipal bus-stand where frequent buses available from Guruvayur. From there, you can reach here by another bus.